From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Right before Randy deployed, my 15 year old step son tragically lost his mother, and he came to live with us. He has the same "lion" heart of his father, his mother possessed it as well. His intelligence inspires awe in me sometimes. He has a beautiful sister hard at work on full ride scholarship studying to be a museum curator. They are both remarkable young people.

Brian also has the same tender heart that his father does. I can tell he has taken to heart his father's instructions to take care of me while he is gone. Brian can mimic so many of his father's little nuances. The way he laughs when he is making a joke, the little sayings his father uses to tease me, and keep that positive "Army can do" attitude reining no matter what the circumstances, even during a deployment. For the most part with the support of many good friends here in Sealy and Bellville, churches across the country, my family, Randy's family, one courageous and extraordinary 15 year old, and a great dog, I do well. Working hard is part of the answer, however sometimes I overdo, feel bad physically, and then really slip into wanting Randy right here to comfort and scold me about working too hard... Prayer and Bible study, a part of every day of my life, (having a husband in harms way drives that with even more energy,) is the source of my final triumph over this separation from the "Keeper of My Heart." One other thing has been a great comfort an inspiration to me, there is a country song by Brooks and Dunn, "Cowgirls Don't Cry." The message of this song is that difficulty comes to every life, but giving in to the emotion of the difficulty just isn't productive. When sadness and loneliness, and the realization that time stretches out so far before the completion of our separation, causes a wrench of pain in my heart that even stirs a very real physical pain, the words of that song slowly steal into my thoughts. The Lord uses it to give me courage and resolve to do this well... If you are facing your own difficult times, that song is worth listening to, as many times as you need to. Have a great day, the rose garden awaits my ministrations; come to see us soon. Tomorrow I must begin telling you of the birds of Soldier's Heart, they are so beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment