From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Love Dirt!

I love gardening, getting my hands into the soil and planting seeds.  The reward is so tangible, and delicious.  The summer garden is fading, so I have taken the steps to get everything ready for the fall garden.  Then I did the planting this morning.  There is always a great deal of work involved in the process.  I love every minute of it!







I have been blanching okra in the pot on the stove there, bell peppers too.  I don't freeze the hot peppers though, they are dried in the sun on the back porch.





I washed the days eggs too.  I always mark them with a sharpie, then I know which ones to use first. All of the scraps from the blanching of the vegetables, along with the egg shells go out with to the chicken pen to feed my chickens.  The egg shells are a needed part of the egg making process, the chickens eat the shells.  As my mother would say, "waste not, want not."


The various cups on the counter are my seeds.  I soak them overnight before planting them.  They germinate twice as fast that way.  





As you can see I use the cheap seeds.  Twenty cents max is all I will pay, and the vegetables are great that I get with the seeds. 






Guess I will go get in the pond for a swim, I'm still hot and tired after coming in from my work.


No comments:

Post a Comment