From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Planting the Fall Garden


Patti loves to follow me where ever I go and be helpful, that is why she is sitting in the middle of the seeds I just put in the row for squash.  Actually she is not that helpful...

The okra is still making.  So are the cherry tomatoes and the big tomatoes too.  The jalapenos are just going crazy producing.  (As Patti can attest...)  I still cannot believe she ate that pepper without any bad consequences, and then wanted more.

This little green lizard is helping keep insects off the okra, although right now he seems to be napping.  


Of everything I grow in the garden, the cherry tomatoes are my favorite.  Nothing in the vegetable world tastes as good as fresh tomatoes right off the vine.  It is so easy to grow them, even in a container.  It doesn't matter where you live, you can grow tomatoes.  Tomorrow I am planting four 5 gallon containers of tomatoes, and I will be doing a video, so don't miss it if you want to learn how to grow the best tomatoes you have ever eaten in very little space at all!
                                                                                                                                                                                                   
Several years ago I put in raised beds, and they are the best thing that has ever happened to my gardening.  They are easier to work in, have far fewer weeds, and look nice as well.  You can move more easily among the rows as well.  My small vegetable garden which produces way more than I can eat is behind our old antique barn.  It is over a hundred years old.  

Another favorite part of the garden for me is my strawberry patch.  It is planted in an old bathtub I took out of a rental house and added wooden sides to for looks.  Again, all the same advantages are in the gardening of the strawberries in a container.  I always put chicken wire over the berries, as the ducks get in them if  I do not keep them out of their reach, and ducks really do like strawberries. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment