From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Monday, October 21, 2013

I FEEL THE NEED TO POST THIS AGAIN...







Would I Be Willing

Would I be willing a second time to do it all over again,
Knowing what I know now, but I did not back then? 

 
Would I be willing to place my hand over my heart in front of the bandstand,
Knowing what I do now of things commanders without honor can so carelessly demand?


Would I be willing to hear the questions of our children and to look into their eyes,
Knowing what I do now, just how would I answer the pleas and their cries?


Would I be willing to spend nights alone thinking of the threat the enemy would wield,
Knowing what I do now of how many would take their own lives after the battlefield?


Would I be willing to see him brought off the plane on the gurney,
Knowing what I do now, would I still agree to make this journey?


Would I be willing to hold back tears, and kiss him goodbye with a smile,
Knowing what I do now of the horrors of PTSD mile after mile?


Would I be willing to roll him again and again down the VA corridors,
Knowing what I do now about all it means to be a Wounded Warrior?


Would I be willing to hear the bugler play Taps, and to accept the folded flag in my hand,
Knowing what I do now of how this endeavor was lacking in a wise and committed plan?


Would I be willing a second time to do it all over again,
Knowing what I do now, but I did not back then? 

Two more Soldiers gave their lives last week in a war in Afghanistan that we have declared is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment