My own come to Jesus meeting this week happened when I saw an article about death benefits for the families of our military service men and women being without funds due to the government shut down. That was it for me. In fragments, with isolated legislation, bits and pieces of the government are being restored. The enemy is within. I don't think that since the Civil War this country has been so divided. it isn't so much we the common people, it is the dogmatic ideologists who are so committed to their agendas that they would force them on the country even at the cost of the union. This is not a regional, ethnic, nor place in society division, it is an ideology division without borders or boundaries. Across the country, on any given block their are proponents of both position, albeit there seem to be more against the health insurance issue which appears to be at the core what the current train wreck is about. Sadly there are many more citizens of our without a dog in this hunt than there are on the polarized ends, and hence comes the enemy... It is complacency by too many Americans who are too involved in their own lives to make it to the poles to vote. Obviously fewer of us were looking for change than expressed themselves at our designated voting locations. The only ones voting are those with rock solid ideas about given subjects and agendas, and to them the other side is completely wrong, and I have read their posts here and their, they want them run out of the country, executed for treason and war crimes. They may not be willing to die for their ideals, but certainly they are willing to vote for them.
Those we sent to Washington are being faithful to those who brought them to the dance, now we have a melt down of the glue that has always held this nation together, and I can just see the vultures circling overhead. Before the world, we stand exposed as incapable of running our own country, while the world looks to us as the leaders of liberty and justice for all. That makes good governments really uneasy and milling around without leadership. It makes bad governments panic, where will the out stretched hand which is never empty come from? Vile governments lick their chops at the possibilities of the situation.
I have done a lot of reading yesterday and early this morning, to try and figure out what the true problem is, not just what the popular news outlets tell us it is, because of course, those avenues of journalism are nothing but the prostitutes of profit for the entertainment industry.
Here is what I have gleaned out of it all:
1. President Obama came duly elected to Washington with his personal "signature" political goal being affordable health care for all. Now certainly that is a noble goal.
2. A problems for many arose when he master minded a program that is so vast and massive in it's change of American health care, that to this day, I don't think a living soul has read the entire document, or is completely aware of all the rules and tidbits of law that have been enacted.
3. There was so much opposition to this legislation that legal challenges were take to the Supreme Court, where the health care bill was upheld.
5. The elected officials whose constituency, along with many other Americans, oppose these changes believe this plan will economically bankrupt the country and not work in practice to provide health care, and they lack the voting power to appeal and override a presidential veto.
6. Being resourceful, the elected officials who oppose this legislation attached amendments to legislation funding of government operations, thus setting up an O.K. Corral situation, and both sides are holding hostages. The left holds political voting power, the right, government funding power, and they have drawn down on one another, each holding their hostage as a shield against defeat of their aims.
7. The problem is there are no identified true bad guys and good guys. What these politician don't seem to understand is that they all work as servants of the people, and not just those who voted for them, all the people in their districts. That seems not to be happening. Not one of those involved in this showdown have even fluttered an eyelash, much less blinked. They are just standing silent in the hot sun, guns drawn, life and death, (yours and mine,) in the balance, and the will to be there until their terms are met.
So there you have it. My work on identifying the problem. I am going to have to do some more thinking to come up with which actions will spare us all, because there are a lot of voices about that too, so many it is hard to pick out the voice of reason from the crowd. I know the problem begins and ends in one word, complacency.