From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Sunday, November 10, 2013

There is Something Out There In the Woods...

I was going out to feed the horses for the evening feeding, and I had let it get dark, not a problem, I put on my headlamp, put on my thigh strap for the Glock 9mm, and confidently started for the tack barn.... then I heard it, not 15-20 feet over the fence line... My nearest neighbor is over 6 miles on that side of the fence, and there are not any cattle over in that pasture right now. I could tell it was moving parallel to me as I moved on toward the tack barn and I thought to myself, shoot, I am going to have to fill out a bunch of paper work, because I'm probably going to have to shoot someone in the woods.... I have lived in the country a long time, and I know every sound, at least approximately how large whatever it is that is moving is.  I figured it was a person or a deer, but then I dismissed the deer and settled on having to do paperwork. . But that wasn't what it was... because just as I got about even with the chicken coop, I pulled out the glock, and then it made that unmistakeable sound... evidently those ducks and geese that are missing are not being eaten by the coyotes... if you hear it even one time, you will never forget it.  I guess she is back for the winter, those sounds always start in early November... and long about April or the first week of May I don't hear them any more.  I am determined to get some pictures this year.... I have a "critter camera" which I am going to set up. The sound is somewhat like a woman screaming, only a bit lower... I have only seen it one time... The mountain lion is back for the winter...  The horses will have to wait until daylight tomorrow morning... there is something out there in the woods... and it is not afraid of me and my Glock.  Got to get a bigger gun...




No comments:

Post a Comment