From the Ranch

From the Ranch

Monday, March 3, 2014

Madi Gras is People

When I was a little girl I lived two doors down from my Grannie Smith. She and my grand-pa were quiet hard working people, who had survived the Great Depression, WW I, and WWII, the loss of a child, and my grand-father being gassed in the battle fields of France during WWI.  This was one of the delights of my earliest years, especially so because of my grand-mother who I adored.  She had a beautiful little garden, and raised vegetables, peaches, and strawberries at her tiny and tidy little home.  She also raised parakeets in little buildings behind her house, which she sold at market once a month.

I had so much fun with some little people in the Audubon section of the Audubon Aquarium of the Americas down by where the ferry arrives from Algiers Point in the French Quarter.  Their exhibit is a large enclosure where the visitor can take small sticks with a feeding mixture on them and feed the birds up close.  The parakeets which inhabit this part of the exhibit seem to enjoy this hand feeding as much as the children and adults who are doing the feeding.  


























No comments:

Post a Comment